Workshop on Machine Learning Experiment Design
CSPC 2020 Workshop Slide – Machine Learning Experiment Design by Dr Jasy Liew
Research Paper References
Classification paper: Liew, J. S. Y., & Turtle, H. R. (2016). Exploring fine-grained emotion detection in tweets. In Proceedings of the NAACL Student Research Workshop (pp. 73-80). Paper can be downloaded free from the ACL anthology: https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/N16-2011.pdf
Regression paper: Madisetty, S., & Desarkar, M. S. (2017). An ensemble based method for predicting emotion intensity of tweets. In International Conference on Mining Intelligence and Knowledge Exploration (pp. 359-370). Springer.
A version of the paper is available through researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sreekanth_Madisetty/publication/321323296_An_Ensemble_Based_Method_for_Predicting_Emotion_Intensity_of_Tweets/links/5a83c5fb45851504fb3a78f2/An-Ensemble-Based-Method-for-Predicting-Emotion-Intensity-of-Tweets.pdf
2nd September 2020 2.00 pm – 5.00 pm VIRTUAL via Webex
The workshop will focus on the building blocks of designing machine learning experiments and how to evaluate the performance of the machine learning models from the experiments. We will start with an overview of using machine learning as a research method which will include framing the machine learning problem and preparing the training, validation and test sets. We will then dive deeper into how we can design experiments to evaluate different aspects of the machine learning models. Finally, we will also discuss how to set up an evaluation plan to accurately assess the model performance as well as how we can interpret the results. The workshop is recommended for participants who has some basics in machine learning.
- This workshop is opened for all CS research mode postgraduate students.
- You need to register to participate in the workshop.
- Register using CSPC Workshop Registration Form
- You will receive Webex details via your email for the virtual session.
- All workshop participant will receive participation certificate upon filling up the workshop feedback form at the end of workshop. The certificate can be collected from CS General Office after the event.
- Workshop Registration Due: 26 August 2020
- Workshop Date & Time: 2 September 2020, 2:00 pm-5:00 pm
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Cheah Yu-N: email@example.com
- Dr. Azleena M Kassim: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Haziqah Shamsudin: email@example.com
- Nur Aqilah Paskhal Rostam: firstname.lastname@example.org